On the same day that the European Union banned experimentation
on great apes, the Alamogordo Daily News featured two stories about using chimpanzees for invasive research
APNM thanks the many vocal supporters of chimpanzee retirement, including:
Vocal Supporters of APF Chimp Retirement
- New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson, former Congressman, ambassador to the United Nations, U.S. Secretary of Energy
- New Mexico Representative Martin Heinrich, 1st Congressional District
- 15 Democrat and Republican New Mexico State Legislators, Led by Representative Nate Cote
- The Alamogordo Chamber of Commerce
- Editorial Board of the Albuquerque Journal
- Dr. Jane Goodall, Founder, the Jane Goodall Institute and UN Messenger of Peace
- The Humane Society of the United States (Roughly 65,000 supporters in New Mexico, 11 million across the U.S.) *take action online!
- Project R&R: Release and Restitution for Lab Chimpanzees *take action!
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine *take action!
- Save the Chimps, Inc.
- Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest
- Best Friends Animal Society
- Born Free, USA *take action!
- Actor and author Gene Hackman
- Actress Kristin Bauer
- Tens of thousands of citizens across New Mexico, the U.S., and increasingly around the world
Vocal Supporters of Invasive Research with the APF Chimpanzees
National Institutes of Health is now joined in support of using the Alamogordo Primate Facility chimps for research by the Southwest National Primate Research Center, which anticipates receiving the rest of the APF chimps in 2011.
How can we avert the tragedy of closing APF to use these chimpanzees in more research?
Thank you to everyone who has spoken up, those with close personal ties to these chimpanzees and citizens who know we can do better in 2010 than spend tax dollars to warehouse and perform invasive research on chimpanzees in a laboratory.
FIRST: Please ask all of your friends to call their US Senators and Representative. Here’s a guide of what to say:
- Thank your elected official for all their hard work for citizens
- Ask for permanent retirement of the Alamogordo Primate Facility chimpanzees
- Ask for the return of chimps sent from Alamogordo Primate Facility to Southwest National Primate Research Center
- Ask for their support to turn APF into a sanctuary, keeping jobs in New Mexico
- Thank them again, especially if they are supporting retirement of the chimps. Be prepared to talk about why this issue matters to you personally if your elected official is not yet supporting retirement of the APF chimps.
For individuals outside New Mexico, use contactingthecongress.org to find phone numbers. For New Mexicans, use the numbers below:
Sen. Jeff Bingaman: (202) 224-5521
Sen. Tom Udall: (202) 224-6621
Your Representatives (call one):
Congressional District 1 (Central New Mexico): Rep. Martin Heinrich: (202) 225-6316
Congressional District 2 (Southern New Mexico): Rep. Harry Teague: (202) 225-2365
Congressional District 3 (Northern New Mexico): Rep. Ben Ray Luján: (202) 225-6190
SECOND: Can you financially support APNM this year to help bolster our voice for the chimps?
Thank you and please pick up the phone TODAY!